26 August 2011

Walk till you run and don't look back

It was tax-free weekend here in rain-free TX last week so I followed the droves of Texans into Academy and got myself these here runnin' shoes. And of course by "runnin'" I mean jogging for a bit until I feel like I might die, then walking, then trying to jog a bit more. People who know me are all too familiar with my "smackdown" phases, but this one could potentially last more than the traditional two weeks. I luv these shoes. They're bouncy and obnoxious hot pink! I took them out on their first trip Tuesday and they performed like champs. I was feeling good despite my beer-laden lazy summer. It wasn't too hot since I managed to get out before the 7:30am outdoor activity curfew, a few people had their sprinklers going so I got some spritzes along the way, and I didn't feel any of my normal exercise rage thanks to my return to fall schedule and my beloved yoga. But then, (cue the ominous music) The Attack of the Thigh Chafe!!! Needless to say this threw me into a horrible negative body image vortex. Yes, yes, I know that even skinny people can chafe, and it is 500 degrees outside, and I was wearing cutoff sweatpants that bunched up (stupid! stupid!) but the fact remains: my big fat thighs were rubbing together so much that the skin rubbed off!!! Gross gross gross.
Normally this sort of vortex leads straight to Sonic for a sack of corndogs, but this time (again I credit the yoga) I walked gingerly with my legs slightly apart into Central Market for an $8 salad. Take that Universe!
So yesterday I ventured out again- this time with (looking embarrassed) diaper ointment on my affected leg, vaseline on the rest of the chafe risk area, and moisture wicking shorts. Success!! I was able to complete Week 1 (again) of the start running plan I got off the internets at the beginning of the last smackdown episode and I didn't feel like dying once.
WTF? Salad? Running? What is this, some kind of health blog now? What about teevee and food trailers?
Ok ok. Sorry. I have discovered a new-to-me tv show, meaning I think it has been off the air since 2007 or something, but it's British so I couldn't have watched it anyway. You remember my mad passion for brit-coms right? This one is fantastic, but in its usual giveth and taketh away fashion, the Netflix instant watch only has season one. (Shaking fist at Netflix, again) Or as they say, series one. Lame. I did however find a way to watch the other series in very poor video quality somewhere else on the webs. You can google it if you want since of course I don't remember what it's called.
We finally went to the third ESK trailer location last night. I had the eel buns. I just like how that sounds. They were yummy, but the Liberty location is definitely #1. SO GOOD. Go there if you can. Call me and I'll come down there and meet you.
In other entertainment news, I finally got around to watching Biutiful. It's even more depressing than it sounds and you have to read it, but I liked it. I guess reading one movie a day isn't enough because then Saturday night we got all brainiac and went to see some old French movies at the Paramount. Every now and again I can understand what they're saying without reading-thank you three years of French in high school!-but you know the idea: super pretty girls smoke a lot and talk about stuff. Men cheat on their wives. The most entertaining part of this double feature was that both movies ended with someone being shot. BANG BANG! FIN.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Eel Buns? Yuck! I think I'll pass on that one:)