21 June 2010

Now that the details are nice and hazy...

I'll finally write something about our trip. (Special apologies go out to A.S. who I know has been waiting patiently for a blog update.) You can jump straight to the photos, or read my disjointed account. It's up to you. (And if you missed the rainforest pic email, those are here.)
We had a really nice time, even though the NW is cold and dreary and drizzly. Luckily we had a few days of sunny-ish weather and a good mix of family hangout time and vacationy activities. Most importantly, I got some yarn (thanks Mom!) at my favorite yarn store. I like it there because they don't find it weird at all when I say I'm in the store mostly to smell the yarn.
Other highlights of Seattle include the EMP, where JS had tons of fun remixing Jimi Hendrix songs or something- I don't quite understand, and Dick's, the only thing I really miss about living there. We rode the ferry, went to the library, watched the Mariners lose, and saw something I've never seen before: crazy soccer fans in Seattle. I guess the Sounders have replaced the Sonics. They were singing and marching and being all European (like Seattleites are known to do) and it wasn't even a playoff game. According to the guy we asked they're "not even very good."
Our second NW weekend we went to Portland, which is way way way (way) cooler than Seattle. We stayed at the Ace Hotel which just happened to be on Stark St. which just happened to (hee hee) be Portland's gayest street. (Think lots of rainbow balloon arches) From the hotel bar window we got to watch the participants of a fantastic drag show walk to and from the backstage which was apparently around the corner. I LOVE drag shows. Really.
We went to the Contemporary Museum of Craft, and I got a cup from this guy. He's got a cool little setup right in the museum and he gives away these cups.
I chose this one because it says "knight of cups":
John chose this one because, well you can see why he chose this one.
We did some NW versions of our favorite activities, like hiking and horse racing, but they are not quite as fun when you are shivering instead of sweating.
Something I do like about the NW is there are tons and tons of microbreweries. Everywhere. But the beer is really heavy and there's no sweating so by the end of the trip I was feeling a little puffy. Luckily back here in the ATX there has been nothing but sweating so I think I'm back to some kind of equilibrium.
We got to visit with some old friends and had plenty of quality family time but I have to say I feel pretty Texan and don't miss old WA at all. It's the sunlight.
I'm sure I'm forgetting a large portion of super fun activities, but you can check out the pictures and email me questions.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey There, the pictures are great. Look like a fun time for all. See you soon:)